Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?Bitter cucumbers

Posted by busy_bee_7tn 7/8TN (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 27, 09 at 10:22

Having trouble! Last year I used saved seed from my Yamato Extra Long cucumbers of '07. All of the plants yielded short, plump and very bitter cucumbers. It was such a disappointment to go all summer without good cucumbers, and more so because I don't know why. Is there a special way I was supposed to handle the process of saving seed? Did they maybe cross with another variety and it end up affecting all the seed? If so, how should I keep that from happening? Am desperate because I am not finding that cucumber in the stores this year and it looks as thought Ferry Morse is no longer providing the seed. Thanks so much for any help! B.B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?Bitter cucumbers

Did they maybe cross with another variety and it end up affecting all the seed?

Taken from the link below:
Separate two different cucumber varieties by at least 1/2 mile to ensure purity. Experienced, home, seed savers can grow more than one variety at a time in a single garden by using hand pollinating techniques.

I see Reimer's seeds has them for sale.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: I n t e r n a t i o n a l S e e d S a v i n g I n s t i t u t e

o

Or it may have just been the growing conditions. Bitter cukes, whenever it comes up for discussion on the vegetable gardening forum, are the result on insufficient water.

But the method of saving the seeds shouldn't affect the taste of the fruit they produce unless, as chemocurl said, they crossed with another variety.

Dave

o

Rain was not a factor in this case and, the shape was consistently short and rounded- making it seem a cross had happened. I "seem" to remember having used the saved seed the year before and had no problems, thus the confusion on my part. I think the thing to do is just to start over and hand pollinate to be sure of seeds that are true. Since Sue's response, I have printed out the info on seed saving and expect to have some fun trying something new in the garden! Thanks to you both.

Bev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here