Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pansyloverandgrower

How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?

I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my closet, my house temp. is about 72. I am wondering about how long will these last? How much(if you know) of the germination rate will have suffered every year? Because the thing is, i bought waayy too many seeds this year and didnt realize it! I have the time, but not the space for them all at a time!

Here's what i have:

Scarlet Milkweed

Nasturtiums

Pansies

Zinnia

Morning Glory

Poppy

Bachelor's Button

Cleome

Sunflower

Petunia

Impatien

Wee Willie

Marigold

Shasta Daisy

Columbine

Peppers

Snap Peas

Corn

Radish

Carrot

Cucumber

Butternut Squash

Lettuce

Pumpkin

Tomato

Sage

Cilantro

Arugula

Basil

Chives

Which Types will cross pollinate with each other?

Comments (5)

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, some of the seeds i got information elsewhere. Here's the new list:

Scarlet Milkweed
    Nasturtiums
    Pansy
    Zinnia
    Morning Glory
    Poppy
    Bachelor's Button
    Cleome
    Sunflower
    Petunia
    Impatien
    Wee Willie
    Marigold
    Shasta Daisy
    Columbine
    Sage
    Cilantro
    Arugula
    Basil
    Chives

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

The warmer the storing temps are the quicker they will lose viability. If you can maybe store them in the fridge or even freezer. They can last years+ stored in a cool place.

All of your Curcurbit/melon plants will cross within half a mile. Cucumber, pumpkin, squash.

Here is a link that might help a little!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I am torn between wanting pansyloverandgrower to get the right information and incurring the wrath of countrycarolyn again. But I'll risk it.

The comment about the cross pollination of Curcurbits is not accurate. Cucumbers are forms of Cucumis sativus. Melons are Cucumis melo.
    Pumpkins and squashes are usually Curcurbita pepo, Curcurbita maxima, C mixta or C moschata. They cannot cross with Cucumis. ie squashes and pumpkins cannot cross with melons and cucumbers.

There is some complexity as to what extent the different Curcurbita and Cucumis species can cross with each other within the Genus. There is a table in the link.

As far as the fruit produced is concerned cross pollination will not affect it as regards appearance or eating quality. What might be affected is the next generation of offspring if you save the seed and sow it.

None of your other listed plants will cross with each other as they are all different species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross pollination in curcurbits

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Flora, when saving seed that is all you are worried about is the next generation of seed. When I say cross pollinated that is exactly what it refers to as in next generation of seeds!! Cross pollination has nothing to do with the taste of course, and I do not believe that is what the op is asking.

This is a seed saving forum but I do appreciate you backing me up by saying that it would only effect the next generation. ;)

If you click on the link I provided you will find where I get my information. :)

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I saw none that would cross-pollinate.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions