Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do these plants produce a seed? (newbie!)

Posted by Hollywog z6soIL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 13:20

I'm new to seed saving and there are several plants that I would love to try and grow from seed. These are hydrangea, canna, wisteria, and gladiolus. Do any of these produce a seed? I know that canna and glads usually come from rhyzome/bulbs, but wondered if perhaps they produce a seed as well. Any info would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do these plants produce a seed? (newbie!)

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 8:25

The canna will produce a round black seed after it flowers.

o

Hydrangea produces dust-like seeds, canna is as Baci described, wisteria produce about 6" bean-like pods with flattish black "beans" inside (as they are pea-relatives), and gladiolus produces pale-brown seeds with "fins" around them - they are related to irises, if I remember correctly, so the pods should be somewhat iris-like. I think hydrangeas would be the hardest to find the seeds from. I'm not sure I've collected actual seeds yet (as they are so tiny). I have seen a picture of the seeds, though.

o

In addition to this fine info Baci and Magus have given you, I will include a link for the seedsite which has great pictures and info:)
Happy Gardening,
Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here