Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gimpytwice

need info for seeds..Please

gimpytwice
18 years ago

I have Stargazer lily seeds that I harvested from my garden and I know that they are suppoded to be papery but how can you tell what ones are good?

thanks Sharyl

Comments (4)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that if you look at the papery portion you will see an embryo or something like that. There should be something round inside. If it's just stright paper, it's not fertile. That's the basic idea - now someone with some expertise can rescue this post with the correct terminology.

• paul299
    18 years ago

Put the seeds in a carboard box and blow on them, the heaver seeds are the good ones. Lily often produce large amounts of empty seeds, they have little wieght.

• debraq
    18 years ago

HI,
    I, too, have Stargazer lily seeds.
    I read that you are supposed to hold the flake up to the light and you will see the seed inside of the flake. Those are the ones that will germinate.
    I have 35 stargazers and I let one pod on each of them ripen until they almost opened.
    I am so sorry that I did that now, because at the same place I read about how to tell if the flake is viable, they said to never let the pods stay on the stem because it weakens the bulb by taking the energy and nutrients the plant produces and puts it into seed production which in turn, will hurt the next years flower production.
    I'd rather have the flowers, and buy new plants than take a risk on having lousy blooms.
    I'll never do that again, but that's me. I just felt you needed to know the whole story on stargazer lily seeds.
    Hope this helps you,
    debra

• debraq
    18 years ago

HI I too have Stargazer lily seeds. I read that you are supposed to hold the flake up to the light and you will see the seed inside of the flake. Those are the ones that will germinate. I have 35 stargazers and I let one pod on each of them ripen until they almost opened. I am so sorry that I did that now, because at the same place I read about how to tell if the flake is viable, they said to never let the pods stay on the stem because it weakens the bulb by taking the energy and nutrients the plant produces and puts into seed production which in turn will hurt the next years flower production.
    I'd rather have the flowers, and but new plants than take a risk on having lousy blooms.
    I'll never do that again, but thats me. I jusut felt you needed to know the whole story on stargazer lily seeds.
    Hope this helps you,
    debra

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions