Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Harvesting Seed - Radish

soilent_green
13 years ago

I made a photographic guide on growing, harvesting, cleaning, and storing radish seeds. You can see it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: My personal seed trade site.

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

That's a great photographic guide and I may even consider saving some radish seed this season. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and posting it.

Have you posted it elsewhere on GW? If not, you might consider posting it to the Vegetable Forum.

Sue

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue - I posted this topic here and in the "Conversations" side of the Vegetable Forum. I did not think it was too appropriate for the main Vegetable Forum.

Glad you liked it. I plan on doing a "Harvesting Seed -" series of photo guides starting with the easiest first. Other topics to come will be grains, lettuce, spinach, broccoli raab, greens, peas, beans, corn, peppers, eggplant, then to more complicated (simply because they are biennials) beets, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabegas, and the most complicated (because of isolation issues and the fermentation process) tomatoes, cucumbers .

I want folks new to gardening or seed saving to see how relatively easy and cost-saving it can be. Seed saving is pretty much second nature to me because I have been doing it for so long, but in the beginning I had no clue what I was doing. I remember that feeling and want to help others by minimizing the learning curve. Pictures can be the best way to do the teaching.

I am glad you found my photo guide to be of value to you.
    -Tom

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    13 years ago

Very well done, and a definite benefit to those new to seed saving. I have been saving seeds for several years now, but when I started, I would have welcomed a tutorial like this. Photos being worth a 1000 words and such. Good job ... thanks

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the input.
    -Tom

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Tank you. As I stood before the store seed rack a couple of days ago, I wondered if I could successfully grow my own seed. Your information will give me a good shot at it.

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tempusflits - thanks for the comment. Best of luck to you on your seed saving efforts. Do not forget there is a lot of seed saving information available at your fingertips via internet keyword search. A seed saving how-to book would be a good investment if you decide to continue saving seed. It could pay for itself with what you save from not having to purchase seed.

Happy Gardening!
    -Tom

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I added two more photos to the series. I planted seeds to test the germination percentages of the two varieties of radishes mentioned in the photo series. Check them out. :-)

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting Radish Seed Photoguide

Sponsored
More Discussions