Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linjoh316

Calamondin Orange

linjoh
19 years ago

Hi,

I took the seeds out of some of my oranges Saturday. I think they should be dry now. I don't know how to store them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (6)

• leeshia
    19 years ago

hi linda,

i only tried this once 10 years ago, when i saved my lemon seeds in the same way, letting them dry out for a few weeks or even months. when i planted them, they grew very well, but over the years i lost track of all of the plants save the one i kept for myself. it grows leafy until i disrupt it with moving house when it loses its leaves for a bit. always rejeuvenates, but has yet to bear fruit.

good luck with the calamonsite- my family makes with them a juice something like lemonaide, very tasty in the summer.

leeshia

• linjoh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Leesia,
    I have two that I grew from seeds about 4 years ago. I didn't try to store the seeds first, just planted them. Mine have yet to make fruit either, but they sure do make a pretty houseplant. I'm glad I'll be able to save the seeds, or maybe offer them on the Seed Exchange.

Linda

• Florazone9
    19 years ago

I store mine in the same way you would any of the othere citrus seeds. The tree I have is 29 years old and I was just 14 when I took some seed from a Tree planted outside the Easter seal building while my mother took my sister in for her therapy. I guess I was helping myself to seeds that young. Although it is not at all sweet, we use the fruit to make mock lemon-aide. Flora

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

I got some fressh seeds of this today and wonder how I plant them?

Thanks,

Tropicalfreak

• linjoh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just took the seeds out of the orange, dried for a few days and planted about 1/2" deep. I put them above my Bunn coffee maker, where it's warm. I covered the top of the pot with clear plastic so that the soil didn't dry out. In the summer, I set the pot in a sunny location, which kept the soil warm. Good luck!!

Linda

• Geoffsmale_live_co_uk
    12 years ago

I bought five calamondin seeds off the internet the other day an they sent me 8 seeds , so iv germinated them in about 4" deep small pots , with multi purpose compost , and put inside a clear bag ( like a large sealed sandwich bag) iv got 4 in my green house , 2 in my lounge and two in my porch , any tips on growing calamondins from seed ,, newbee grower here , any tips wud be great

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions