Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving seeds from night-blooming jasmine

Posted by tracy77 9 Fl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 9:04

My night-blooming jasmine has grown white berries. Are those the seeds? Has anyone grown plants of the seeds of a Night-blooming jasmine?

Tracy
tracyann77@hotmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving seeds from night-blooming jasmine

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 19:10

Hi Tracy,
The Seed Site has a pic of the berries being black, so I would wait until they change color to harvest. How long that will take, I don't know. I've never grown Jasmine, but I didn't want you waiting on an answer too long. Some seed pods ripen quickly, others take awhile.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine Berries and Seeds on The Seed Site

o

What a great seed website, Remy! :) However, I beg to differ re. the seeds, as the plant with white berries sounds very much like cestrum nocturnum... the common name is night blooming jasmine, but of course common names can be misleading or shared by a number of plants. I have a cestrum nocturnum and the berries stay white and turn a spotty tan as they age. I would guess that a ripe berry is spotted with tan or is entirely tan and wrinkly a bit. Hope this helps a bit! :)

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 16:20

Thanks nuitjasmine. You're right common names can be confusing.
Remy

o

I have heard alot of people say they move there night blooming jasmine in and out of the house. After a while is the plant not strong enough to stay outside, if it is well taken care of.

o

Cestrum nocturnum also known as Night Blooming Jasmine, is grown in subtropical regions as an ornamental plant for its strongly-scented flowers. It grows best in average to moist soil that is light and sandy, with a neutral pH of 6.6 to 7.5, and is hardy to hardiness zone 8. Feed bi-weekly with a weak dilution of seaweed and fish emulsion fertilizer.

All parts of the plant are highly poisonous.
Just picked this up off a website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here