Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastefullyjulie

Are my morning glory seeds viable?

tastefullyjulie
18 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie to seed collecting and saving. I've only ever saved the seeds from my hollyhocks in the fall and that was easy. Anyway, I was doing a little spring clean up this weekend and when I started to cut down the old brown morning glory vine from last summer I noticed the little black seeds falling out of the pods. So then I got a paper bag and collected all the pods in there. I removed the seeds. Most of the pods were dry and crisp and the seeds looked good and black. Some of the pods were moist and inside those the seeds appeared moldy.

So, to make a short story long, Are the dry, black seeds still good? They definitely froze on the vine this winter a couple times.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• magus
    18 years ago

They should still be okay. But any way you look at it, why not give them a try? They shouldn't take too long to germinate.

• Nurmey
    18 years ago

Freezing will not hurt the seeds and you may have a zillion or two plants that grow from the seeds that got away during the winter. :o)

• tastefullyjulie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In addition to the gazillion seeds I have been harvesting :)

Thanks for the info!

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

My thoughts too...If you had a morning glory vine...don't worry...this year you will have plenty that pop up ...I love Morning glory...

• deederbug
    18 years ago

OH YES!
    You grow 1 morning glory plant, and you've got'em for years in massive doses! I have them growing into established plants and whatever is climbable. They're like an infestation.
    So in answer to your question and to add more graphics to the previous responses, pitch the mold - start seeds only if you want to sell the plants (and/or dig up all starters that have self seeded)to gain a profit or help control the vine population - and if you want less next year, pull down plants before seed pods dry and open up to drop 4-5 more seeds that will require repeated maintenance.
    I'm learning this again with a wormwood that shot a hundred babies from the mother root. - aargh!
    good luck.
    Deederbug

• tastefullyjulie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I am just getting into seed trading/exchanging so I thought about saving some of the seeds for that but I didn't want to send anybody a bunch of dud seeds.

• north210
    17 years ago

I also thought about collecting my morning glory seeds to sell, then discovered that the sale of these seeds may start to be monitered. Apparently it's the latest 'fad' among young people. The seeds provide a similar "experience" to hallucinogenic mushrooms when ingested. To save myself any trouble, I decided not to sell any to someone I didn't know and just keep the rest for my personal garden.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions