Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving medicinal herb seeds

Posted by kensclark15 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 14:02

I have a pretty big list. I've always just used the plants and never saved the seeds but now I think it's time to save them. Here is the list: Hyssop, Angelica, Echinaeca, Rosemary, Fever few, Clary Sage, White Sage, Chocolate Mint, Lemon Verbena, St John's Wort, Gotu Kola. I have a couple more but I can't remember their names :/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving medicinal herb seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 13:33

Hi Kensclark,
I think no one wrote back to you because it is a lot in one post. Different types of flower produce seeds in different manners.
For Salvia, the flower drops off, and the calyx turns brown. Once the calyx is brown, the seeds held in the calyx should be ripe.
For Echinacea, the petals fall off and the cone part of the flower dries up. Once it is dry, the seeds are ready and they are held within the spiky parts of the cone. (There are a few post with pics on this forum if you do a search.)
For Mints and Basils, the flowers die and the flower cluster turns brown. The ripe seeds will readily fall out of the brown when rubbed.
Rosemary does not produce many viable seeds, and is best propagated by cuttings.
Feverfew the white petals fall off and the middle button browns.
I've not save from the others so I can't say for sure. To see pics of some of the above and get more info, I recommend The Seed Site. It is an excellent resource.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here