Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory and cross pollination question

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 14:39

I just bought seeds for I. tricolor 'Heavenly Blue' and I. nil 'Cameo Elegance'. I want to grow them in the same area of the garden, but I'm not sure if they cross pollinate or not. Does anyone know? I want to be able to save seeds from them next year that are true to type.
Thanks everyone!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory and cross pollination question

Taken from the link below:
Seed Saving Instructions:
Morning glories will cross-pollinate. Gardeners should only grow one variety at a time to save pure seed, or isolate varieties by 1/4 mile. Seeds are ready to harvest when the seed capsules are completely dry and brown

Another option would be to plant some for early flowering, and then some for later and destroying any of the first ones that are still in bloom.

hth.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Morning Glory.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 19:16

Sue,
You are partly correct. If the MGs are all regular MGs Ipomoea purpurea they will cross with each other. Like I. purpurea Milky Way and I. purpurea Grandpa Ott's will cross with each other.
The poster though has I. tricolor and I. nil. They will not cross.
I. tricolor Heavenly Blue and I. tricolor Blue Star cannot be grown together as they will cross.
I. nil is the Japanese type like Blue Silk or Hatsu Arashi so the Japanese types will cross with each other also.
It you want seed purity and not have to do any thing special in the garden, grow 1 I. purpurea, 1 I. tricolor, and 1 I. nil variety.
Sometimes though the species name on MGs is incorrect so it is always good to double check the species name.

Kim,
You are ok to grow them together : )
Remy

o

That's great! I really wanted to be able to plant both this season and be able to save pure seed. Thanks!
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here