Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peony seed

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 15:11

I have some old peony seed pods that I needed to soak to soften them up. The large pods have a few 1/4" seeds and the smaller pods, 1/4*1", have rows of tiny seeds. Are the small pods immature or a different variety. The seeds came from my mother-in-law's house and I didn't see them in bloom.

Also, I received daylilly and peony seeds from other sources and one package of daylilly and peony seed was similar, dark brown, almost spherical, 3/8". The other daylilly package had lighter brown irregularly shaped seed. These were all saved seed packages. Am I going to be surprised when they sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peony seed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 23:27

Hi,
The tiny seeds in the peony pods are seeds that never developed. The larger seeds can vary in size by variety, but they will still be much larger than the tiny seeds you found in the pods.
I don't know about the odd shaped daylily seed. I've only seen ball shaped ones. I can't imagine that someone mislabeled a package for daylilies though. Are they shrunken in? If so they might be seeds that got picked before completely ripe, but I can't say for sure without seeing them.
Remy

o
RE: peony seed

Thanks,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here