Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone germinating new yellow echinacea?

Posted by oxfordblue z5 ON (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 15:15

Has anyone had any luck growing the new yellow coneflower hybrids from seed indoors? I can't get them to germinate -- Is it me? Or is it them? The potted plants cost an arm and a leg in Toronto, so I'd like to solve my problem! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone germinating new yellow echinacea?

I'm starting the yellow prairie coneflower (yellow w/ big cone) and they germinated fine... it's the purple that I'm having issues with! LOL I've started taking the dome off during the day and putting it back on over night and it seems to be helping with the germination.

Good luck!
-Bonnie

o
RE: Anyone germinating new yellow echinacea?

I forgot to winter sow the seed from my Mango Meadowbrite, but I believe Echinacea needs cold stratification to germinate. I know my purple coneflowers outside reseed, and I've had good luck winter sowing the purple & white coneflowers. The new colors are hybrids, so the won't look like the parents, but you might just get something even prettier ;) I think I'm going to spring sow my echinacea seeds, after I chill them for about 2 weeks. Well, if I can find the seed head :(

I'd love to have a bed filled with the new oranges and yellows, but being at least $20 a pot locally, it's not gonna happen!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here