Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dianthus seeds

Posted by mmsc z11 (brazil) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 15:54

Hello,
I was hoping someone could help me with this one. I have a bed with lots of Dianthus chinensis and was never able to save a single seed.
Every time I check the brown old flowers there's nothing inside.. I thought that maybe they weren't being pollinated, but there are lots of dianthus seedlings popping through the bed, so there are seeds somewhere.

Does anyone have a picture of a seedpod and/or the seeds?

Thanks,
Mauricio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dianthus seeds

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 10:07

this site has TONS of pix...

Here is a link that might be useful: seed site

o
RE: Dianthus seeds

The seeds are tiny. Cut some of the dried flower heads and shake them in a bag....or cut a few and hold them over an open white envelope and tap on the flowerhead. The seeds are so small you may think they are just dirt. Each flowerhead has lots of seeds in it as long as they haven't fallen out yet. Try checking, and tapping before the flowerheads get really old and brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here