Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will these be good yet?

Posted by halley_rose z4 Wi (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 16:02

I didn't get all my morning glory seeds harvested last fall. Someone wants some now. I saw there are some seed heads on the vines yet, that have brown seeds in yet. Would they be alright to plant this spring, or not. I live in zone 4, in Wisconsin.
The same exact thing is true with my siberian iris. There are some brown seeds in the pods yet. Would they be good for this springs planting? How long would they take before they'd be mature enough to plant?
Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will these be good yet?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 20:54

Hi Halley Rose,
The MG seeds are fine to plant. If they fell out on their own this spring, they would sprout.
The Siberian iris seeds are good, but I'm not sure sitting outside in the pod is the same as in dirt all winter. See, the iris need a cold period to germinate, but normally to make them sprout, you plant them and let them sit out all winter. Did I make sense? lol. You could try planting some now and see what happens.
Did you mean how long would they take to flower? If so, in a couple years they will flower.
Hope that helps,
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here