Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diospyros4luna

Where to buy envelopes?

diospyros4luna
19 years ago

I want to buy bulk empty seed packet envelopes but my google searches are turning up mailing envelopes or packets with actual seeds in them. Also, I can write on them myself... I don't want some of the expensive ad company or wedding favor ones where you can have your logo and such printed on them for a price. Any ideas on where I can buy these? Thanks!

Comments (28)

• dragonflynikky
    19 years ago

There's a company called Spear Envelope Company that sells only seed, coin, and coffee envelopes in bulk (500 minimum). You can request free samples. Let them know I referred you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spear Envelope Company

• MLcom
    19 years ago

Staples Office Max any craft store will have either coin evelopes or plastic itty bitty envelopses.
    Also if you trade seeds alot will trade them for seeds.

• garnetmoth
    19 years ago

The best thing about #3 Coin Envalopes from Staples (or wherever) is that the Rubbermaid 1.5 gal Fashion Clears snap case is as tall as the envalopes, and twice as wide! Put in a cardboard center divder, and voila!

i really like the coin envalopes but hadnt found anything plastic that was a good size to hold them.

i know paper is safest for lots of envalopes in case a seed wasnt 100% dry (wont mold), but i like my boxes plastic with a Silica pack or 2 so i can take them outside without worrying about getting ruined.

• Michelle Reynolds
    19 years ago

hello
    I make envies out of stationary and leave a flap at the top to turn over and tape shut.
    michelle

• AlchemyAcres
    19 years ago

Try eBay....i frequently see 500 coin envelopes selling for around $5......can't beat that.

• gjmancini
    19 years ago

theres an envelope templat in sizes small and large on bloosomswap.com

• Adnama
    19 years ago

Also, if you want to DIY, you can take an existing (empty) envelope that you like, pull it apart and trace it on whatever kind of paper you like to make your own custom (color coding, special weight paper, whatever) envelopes. I use magazine pages with cool graphics...

• triple_b
    18 years ago

I like my film containters. is there any drawbacks to using them? they are airtight and whatnot. The seeds are always nice and dry.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

I like to use the manilla coin envelopes, but for tiny seeds, I use a small envelope template to make envelopes of waxed paper. The tiny little seeds of poppies, snapdragons, petunias don't stick to the waxed paper. I use a glue stick to glue the flaps down. When it is filled, I put it in a coin envelope, with all the information written on the outside.

Janie

• lis44
    18 years ago

Try Lee Valley. They sell envelopes and a binder to keep them in but you can buy simply the envelopes, they're resealable, reuseable and a pretty good size.

Not sure what the link is but google Lee Valley, that should take you to the site and you can order from there.

~Lis

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I get tiny 2"x2" plastic ziploc baggies form the local bead store or Michael's craft store, for $3/100 bags.

They're also available in larger sizes. I write on the bags with permanent markers.

• averybird
    18 years ago

I prefer Michael's craft store for the miniature plastic coin envelopes as well. They have a variety of sizes.

Recently I've found that baby food jars work well for saving seeds too. Of course, only some of us have a baby around. But it is a great way to recycle these if you can. :)

• Robin282
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I have MANY of those little plastic zipper bags! I would be happy to trade them for some seeds. I am into any unusual vegetable, Amish vegetables, Native American veggies, and trees.

I do not need 25 seeds of each. If the germinattion rate is high, 5-8 seeds is good. If the rate is low, maybe a dozen or so. Please let me know what you have.

Thanks, Robin

• SusanC
    18 years ago

For trading, I like the coin envelopes from Office Depot, etc. For collecting and storing seeds, I mostly use a simple to fold, no cutting required, self-sealing envelope that I learned how to make a few years ago. It takes a four inch square of paper to make a 2 inch square envelope. I tear squares out of 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of junk paper that have one blank or mostly blank side, but you can also use square notepads. -The great thing about these envelopes is that you can make them on the fly and can recycle junk paper. Here's how to make them:

To make a self-sealing envelope:

{{gwi:1248576}}

To make squares for envelopes out of junk paper:
    {{gwi:1248578}}

• mje769
    18 years ago

I have the manila coin envelopes that I would trade for seed. Let me know.
    Marsha

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

SusanC, I like the envelope. I tried it in waxed paper since that is what I use and it works well.

• bears15ne
    18 years ago

here is one already made all you have to do is print
    easy cut-

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1248574}}

• little_dani
    18 years ago

Thats a neat little envelope, Bears1.

Janie

• fedup63118_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Here's a link for a web-site that sells blank seed packets.
    http://www.mortgageliftertomato.com/blankseedpackets.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Blank Seed Packets

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

I prefer to use small coin envelopes for most seed that I mail out for exchanges. For added winter protection, I sometimes use a small ziplock within the envelope. This helps to prevent condensation from forming on seeds, when they are brought from a cold mail box (VERY cold here!) to a warm humid atmosphere.

For those that want professional-looking seed packets, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Seed Savers Exchange both offer self-sealing, reclosable envelopes. SSE even has custom envelopes available for many vegetables & flowers (Bean, Tomato, Basil, Marigold, etc.). Both also offer foil packs for long-term seed storage.

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

I found some bulk plastic baggies at Paper Mart, an online store. You need to be really serious about it, as there are 1,000 per case :) They have some that are plain and others that have a white front to write on. The shipping costs more than the baggies, but it's still a good deal.

About those envelopes SusanC mentioned ... someone on Gardenweb posted pictures of envelopes they made using square pieces of garden catalogs. I'm really craft challenged, and I still managed to make these, and they turned out rather pretty. I have plenty of old garden catalogs sitting around, so it's a perfect use for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Mart

• passion4passies
    13 years ago

Know it's old thread, but here's the same ones they use when sending you send (online seed sources)
    http://www.uline.com/BL_214/Minigrip-2-Mil-White-Block-Reclosable-Bags

• Cat
    6 years ago

I tried Spear, but I also liked the Coin envelopes on U Line. Their small coin envelopes are the perfect size for seeds, even though they aren't real "seed" envelopes. Someone had them on Etsy but it is too much for me to pay. We need tons of them.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

1. Walmart in the bead section. The craft section where people buy beads to make their own jewelry. 100 plastic zip close bags 1"x1" for $2. Don't forget to mark your seeds clearly with name of seed, variety name, latin name if possible, year harvested, # of seeds, Houzz username, etc.

2. Origami. Paper-folded. Look up online for instructions. Reuse paper of any kind to create. Again, label clearly.

3. Many free printable templates online. Do a search, print, cut, tape, fill with seeds. Some you can type in the information and others you have to write in.

4. Plastic baggies are great, but make sure your seeds are DRY. You'll get bad reviews if you send moldy seeds and you might not even realize it.

5. Save your junk mail envelopes. Cut off the corners, add seeds and tape shut. You're recycling. You can cut them all the same size if you want. Easy to label.

IF YOUR HANDWRITING is anything like a first grader don't be offended, but please type it out, print it off, cut out the tiny slip of paper and insert into the baggie or tape to the front.

If YOU ARE TEMPTED TO USE HIGHLIGHTER don't be offended, but please don't. Difficult to read. Use a black or blue pen if your handwriting can be read or else type it up.

I'm OLD. No, it's not polite to ask HOW OLD. If you write as small as Tinkerbell on the end of carrot...help us out. II can't read campanula rotundifolia squeezed into 1/4" space.

Some people like to write in pencil because ink can run. That's fine...but it better be a sharp pencil and please press hard. If you write with a light hand and make a thousand swirls in cursive like my grandmother did--I'll never be able to read it.

Thank you all!

• jennifer_champagne80
    6 years ago

Staples has them. I had to buy some myself, when I gave out seeds I had saved from my gardens as Christmas presents to all of my family members.

• Cathy Kaufell
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I purchase mine from ULINE https://www.uline.com/BL_209/Uline-2-Mil-White-Block-Reclosable-Bags I also use their Glassine bags first then put them in the poly

https://www.uline.com/BL_5507/Glassine-Bags?keywords=paper%20bags

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago

Adding to xlangirl's first suggestion. I write on a piece of paper and put it inside the plastic bag. then you can reuse the baggie. #2 you can use almost any kind of paper. I print mine, have a template in Excel that prints 6 at a time. Advantage is I can type the name of the seeds, date, my name, and can put a small picture on it.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions