Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bought too many seeds - can i save them for next season?

Posted by mattkime brooklyn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 19:18

i bought a couple of thousands seeds through seedsavers.org. i live in booklyn - i have no idea what to do with all these seeds although it didn't seem like much when i ordered them.

will they keep for next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bought too many seeds - can i save them for next season?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 7:41

Hi,
Yes, you can keep them for next year. Most seeds will keep for a few years or even longer. Only a few have a short life, the onion family and corn are two that I can think of that you might have got seeds of.
Store them in a cool dark dry spot in your home.
Remy

o

Lettuce seed is the only one that I've had a problem getting to germinate after a year. (It is supposed to last several years. Go figure.) Everything else has been fine.

o

I saw a special on one of the sciencey tv networks in which people were able to grow varieties that had been extinct for half a century, because someone stored some seeds properly. Basically, they were kept in a dark, dry place. Of course, it's probably not the case for ALL seeds, but I know I've grown tomatoes, lettuce and acorn squash from old seeds before. (I just planted some acorn squash seeds that I harvested in 2004, what remains from what I used up last year, and I expect they should be fine). I stored my old seeds in an air-tight container. I don't know if this is even necessary, but it didn't seem to hurt them.

o

Greetings,

I have a bunch of seeds packages that range from 6 to 12 years old. They have been stored in a variety of places.

Please advise.

Best

Frank

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 23:05

Frank,
Please start a new thread and post what types of seeds you have.
Thank you,
Remy

o

Its important to keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. I keep mine in a container in the refrigerator. The germination rate will go down some each year, faster on somethings than others. Onion are said to only be able to be kept for 1 yr, I had a 5 yr old package with about 60 seed so I planted them (just to see) not thinking I would really get anything from them. 14 seeds germinated, thats almost 25%. So I would not count on most germinating when they start getting old, but I would not just discount them. I've also planted 3 15 yr old tomato seeds and had 2 of them germinate. If your using older seed its a little more of a gamble but like the lottery you never know if you don't try it. If more grow than you can use, you can always share.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here