Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 y.o. morning glory seeds

Posted by natalie4b 8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 19:21

I got these seeds in a seed exchange, they were collected in 1978 (commercial seeds).
Will they grow and bloom?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 y.o. morning glory seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 22:22

Hi Natalie,
Wow! Who is giving out 30 year old seeds? lol. A seed that does have the capability of growing after years of storage is Morning Glory. The problem is you don't know how they were stored. If they were exposed to very high heat and/or humidity they could be dead.
If you were interested in giving it a shot, sure, why not. There's a chance unlike other seeds that I would say no way to try.
Remy

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 15:05

making me feel old, i was still in hs in 1978.

geez, those shoulda been sent back to whomever send them in.

hope they grow for ya!

let us know.

:)

o

The person who sent them to me mentioned she was cleaning her supply and offered her seeds for SASBE, and I was and still am VERY grateful.
It is kinda cool, because 1978 is a year when we came to US, and it is rather interesting, because just recently we celebrated our 30th Anniversary in this country, I was thinking of my Father who passed away shortly after we arrived, and I missed him like crazy...
I will plant them when the weather warms up, and I have a feeling they will bloom with abundance :).

o

Natalie You might try putting 3 or 4 seeds in a damp paper towel and then in a plastic bag on top of frig, If they sprout then plant out side or in a pot until you have true leaves. I did this with moon flower seeds with success. Paula

o

Good idea Paula. It worth experimenting. Thanks!!
~Natalie

o

So... did they sprout?
I tried some MG seeds that were stored room temp and dry for 5 years, and they lost viability...

o

They did not. It was worth a shot - nature works in amazing ways, and miracles happen :).

~Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here