Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Saving Reference(s)?

Posted by organicdan z5b Nova Scotia (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 20:15

Which on-line reference(s) do you recommend?

Important information like plant spacing for seed saving, fermentation or hot water treatment recommendations, special treatments for over-wintering vernalization, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Saving Reference(s)?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 19:21

Hi Dan,
The best reference for veggies is not online, It is the book 'Seed to Seed' by Susan Ashworth. Online, I will Google specific plants hoping to find info. I'm not sure if there's a good online all around reference site. Of course doing a search of this forum or asking if no answer is found after searching usually works : )
Remy

o

Ditto on Remy's recommendation. I would also add the book "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties", by Carol Deppe.

Of the online seed saving references I've come across, this is one of the best. Dr. McCormack's information (most notably on the use of barrier crops) has been instrumental in establishing my own seed saving program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Our Seeds

o

I've been looking for the same kind of referance, either on-line or off. I like "Seed to Seed," but it's limited to veggies - I'm mainly a perennial/ornamental gardener and alas, there doesn't seem to be a good ref. for us.

My veggie garden is a little 10' square. I have two 200 foot fence-lines of border-beds that I'd like to harvest ornamental seed from.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 21:05

ABQ Bob,
I did forget about The Seed Site in my first post! They do have a lot of great info there.
I think that there is no good reference book is because it would be too vast and complex to complete. With vegetables there is pretty much a set list of genera that we grow and so it easy to quantify and explain. With flowers it is an unending list! I know a heck of a lot about seed saving, but I still learn new stuff all the time.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here