Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
collecting gazania seeds

Posted by beagly z6PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 20:21

i collected seeds from the plants last year. i planted them early this year just to see what would happen!!! nothing!!! bought a pack of seeds. and they look nothing like what i planted.what went wrong...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: collecting gazania seeds

the ones you bought might have had the fluff removed. to plant seeds youve saved just push them into your mix and leave the fluffly end poking out above the soil. if the temperature was not warm enough though they may have rotted so its best to plant them in nice warm to hot temps.

o

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

o

Ive collected seeeds from the plants out there in my town's public gardens. I chose buds that were totally dry, on dry stems too. The seed was in the centre of the flower and it was easy to remove (in fact, it flies with the wind).

Seed Appearance
The seed is covered by a fluffy bit that I find quite difficult to remove. In the past, I've bought gazania seed and I think manufacturers remove the fluffy cover. But I think it's not necessary to remove it. See below.

Seed Germination
I followed the instructions of dryscapes (see above): I put the seed in a jar with water. I couldn't make sure what the temperature was, but I put the jar next to the sunniest window in my house, so that the temperature was high.
My seeds were germinating in 24 hours.

I've been observing the process for a few days now, and this is what I know so far. The fluffy cover opens up and white end starts appearing. Eventually the seed breaks up the fluffy cover entirely.

When they get bigger I will put them in soil.

o

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to get some input:

On ehow.com it says not to collect seeds from nursery plants as they are hybrids and usually sterile. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Anyone out there have a different point of view or agree?

o

Where do you suppose the nurseries get their seeds???
IT is true that SOME are hybrids, but those varieties can usually be started from cuttings of the original plant.

o

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

Here is a link that might be useful: على مودك

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here