Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beagly

collecting gazania seeds

beagly
17 years ago

i collected seeds from the plants last year. i planted them early this year just to see what would happen!!! nothing!!! bought a pack of seeds. and they look nothing like what i planted.what went wrong...

Comments (6)

• trancegemini_wa
    17 years ago

the ones you bought might have had the fluff removed. to plant seeds youve saved just push them into your mix and leave the fluffly end poking out above the soil. if the temperature was not warm enough though they may have rotted so its best to plant them in nice warm to hot temps.

• gardenluv
    17 years ago

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

• salvora
    13 years ago

I´ve collected seeeds from the plants out there in my town's public gardens. I chose buds that were totally dry, on dry stems too. The seed was in the centre of the flower and it was easy to remove (in fact, it flies with the wind).

Seed Appearance
    The seed is covered by a fluffy bit that I find quite difficult to remove. In the past, I've bought gazania seed and I think manufacturers remove the fluffy cover. But I think it's not necessary to remove it. See below.

Seed Germination
    I followed the instructions of dryscapes (see above): I put the seed in a jar with water. I couldn't make sure what the temperature was, but I put the jar next to the sunniest window in my house, so that the temperature was high.
    My seeds were germinating in 24 hours.

I've been observing the process for a few days now, and this is what I know so far. The fluffy cover opens up and white end starts appearing. Eventually the seed breaks up the fluffy cover entirely.

When they get bigger I will put them in soil.

• BigRockGardener
    10 years ago

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to get some input:

On ehow.com it says not to collect seeds from nursery plants as they are hybrids and usually sterile. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Anyone out there have a different point of view or agree?

• nana8
    10 years ago

Where do you suppose the nurseries get their seeds???
    IT is true that SOME are hybrids, but those varieties can usually be started from cuttings of the original plant.

• randarand97
    10 years ago

My gazanias last year thrived in HOT weather and little water. I don't plan on starting mine until mid to late April. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would wait until it is consistantly warm out.

Here is a link that might be useful: عÙÙ ÙÙدÙ

Sponsored
More Discussions