Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need seed saving tips on various plants

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 20:29

Ok. I am VERY new to this. This year I have started several plants from seeds, & when the time comes, I wish to collect seeds from them. I know, I know it is very early to be thinking about this. It's just that, being a newbie & all, I want to go into this as prepared as I can be so I don't screw anything up. Such as harvesting too early, not knowing where the seeds are, or by the supreme powers of a novice, somehow kill the plant. Below is a list of flowers I am wishing to hoard seeds from (with the intent of trading).

Morning glories:
Moonflower
Blue sky
Scarlett o'hara
Crimson rambler
Grandpa ott

Sweet pea
Celosia
Chinese lantern
Stargazer lily (if possible)
Columbine
Peony
Love lies bleeding
Madagascar jasmine

I believe I have listed them all. If I haven't I'll come back & add it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need seed saving tips on various plants

Have you gone through the list of FAQs here on how to do each variety. Not all are covered but many are and the basic guidelines apply to all.

Just Click on the blue FAQ button on the front page of this forum.

Dave

o

As a rule, wait till the seeds and pods are dry and brown and crunchy. Then put the seeds on a paper plate for a few days to dry and then store them. See FAQ's about storage. There are many ways.

o

To help make storage in those small bags I have just started using those old plastic milk containers. If you cut the side with the handle and cut the top end off that handle you make a nice holder for the seeds as well as a means, using that hollow handle as a spout that will let you put those seeds into those tiny bags without any problem.

o

I've been told that lily seeds can be toxic if absorbed into skin. I would be careful when handling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here