Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can i buy sweet potato seeds?

Posted by alisher (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 22:24

Hi everyone,

Can anybody help me to find a reliable place to order sweet potato seeds please? I am planning to take the seeds and try to grow them in another country where there are no sweet potatoes. Thanks a lot for all your advices.

Alisher.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can i buy sweet potato seeds?

Sorry but sweet potatoes aren't grown from seeds. They are grown from what are called "slips" - small plants that sprout off of existing sweet potatoes.

I suppose you could try taking some sweet potatoes with you to grow slips on once you got there - if they can make it thru the customs and Ag inspections. You'll want to check ahead of time as many countries prohibit import of non-native agricultural products.

Dave

o

In the temperate zone sweet potatoes are grown from last year's tubers. I have had sweet potatoes blossom tho, here in zone 6b but didn't produce any seeds that I know of. Here is a link that might help you if you are into plant breeding. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed problems in sw potato

o

Alisher - can you tell us which country you are going to? Is it in Europe, Africa? Asia? 3 reasons I ask: lots of places in Europe you can get imported sweet potatoes in the supermarket veg section even though they don't grow in that country, so you could get slips from those. Secondly, are you sure you can't get plants there? For example Thompson and Morgan and Dobies sell sweet potato starter plants in the UK. And thirdly, are you sure that sweet potatoes will grow where you are going to? For example, here you would need to grow them in a greenhouse. Just some things to consider while you plan your project.

o

Matthew at B and T World Seeds may be able to help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here