Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollywog_gw

Free and easy GREENHOUSES

Hollywog
19 years ago

Hey there! I loved the paper towel, toilet paper roll idea for seed pots! Here's one for a greenhouse using 'recycled' materials: The black plastic trays with the clear plastic dome lid that fast food restaurants serve their salads in make perfect little 'miniature' greenhouses! Yet another reason to eat more salad!!!!I called our local McD's and they donated enough trays and lids for me to go into my daughters kindergarten class and make mini greenhouses for mothers day gifts later this month. So far, the idea has been a big hit!

Comments (10)

• dkotchey
    19 years ago

Great idea for Mother's Day!! What are you going to plant in the greenhouses ?

• Stevo1974
    19 years ago

Chrysanthemum ("Mother's Daisy").

Oooh. There are also varieties of Glads, Dahlia, and Daylilly named Mother's Day.

• Hollywog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm thinking of planting smaller annuals that will germinate rather quickly. They're little attention spans arent that long and they will get upset if they don't see results almost immediately. I'm also thinking of doing it on a friday so that they have all weekend to germinate! I'm thinking coleus, viola, pansy, vinca, maybe some geraniums--stuff along that line. Can anyone think of any other small (6-10") annuals that might work?

• Kathy Johnson
    19 years ago

I saw the same thing at Big Lots for 99 cents - plastic tray with a lid - & was too cheap to pay that price for something (as you suggested) I could get at a fast food restaurant.

• MLcom
    19 years ago

IF you do a search in the Winter Sowing forum here , of containers you wont belive what you can use.
    the the # 1 used item is used Milk jugs.

• mantorvillain
    19 years ago

What with the number of 'bugs' keeping their colleagues away from work, my staff had really stepped up to get our work done. I picked up a couple of those premade assortments of cheeses/rolled up meat as a treat. While visiting we got on the subject of gardening and I noticed the containers. Guess what came home with me! Yahoo!
    Will

• heirloomtomato
    19 years ago

Likewise, if you buy a birthday cake ( like a sheet or 1/2 sheet cake) the black tray and high topped cover make great mini greenhouses. I save my styrofoam or plastic mushroom boxes and rinse them out to use for seed starting. I can usually fit several of these inside the shhet cake container and snap the lid on. I do have regular seed starting trays I save year to year but I figure why throw out those mushroom containers when they are such a nice size for starting seeds - also the foam ones are especially eazy to poke holes in the bottom of for drainage. Just a thought!
    heirloomtomato

• Adnama
    19 years ago

Some eggs come in clear plastic cartons, too. I buy range-free, which don't, but when my DH came home with the store brand and I looked at that little greenhouse with perfect individualized peat pellet holders, I was tempted to switch over...

Anyway, thanks for the great idea!

For the class, maybe marigolds? I remember taking care of one in my preschool class.

WHEN IS MOTHER'S DAY?!?!

• paganpoet
    19 years ago

can i use a grape box as a mini green house because they have holes in the top? also can any one spare any seed baggies. thanks paganpoet

• chevyii
    18 years ago

Are'nt those great. I used them for years to start petunias..snapdragons and other annuals for my gardens

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions