Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storage

Posted by Devonfawn 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 1:13

Ok so i have read quite a few post where ya'll have germinated and planted seeds that were 1 year to 15 years old. what are you keeping them in, and how are you storring them. i know that i will be moveing in 18 months to 2 years and i would love the bring some of my plants with me, i know i cant take them all but if i start now i know that i can at lest bring the seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storage

Hi Devonfawn,

Seed storage life depends on a few main factors: the type of seed, the temperature the seed is stored, and the humidity in which it's stored. Some seeds, like onion or parsnip, regardless of how they're stored, are typically only viable for a couple years. Others, like brassicas, when stored properly can last ten years or more.

The main rules of thumb are cold, dark, & dry. Before putting saved seed in long-term storage, be sure they are completely dry. If you plan on storing seed for a long period of time, not accessing it often, the freezer is a great place for this. I like to store seed in canning jars.

My friends at All Good Things www.agtoseeds.com store their seeds in canning jars in a climate controlled room at @ 55˚F and @ 25% relative humidity. Ideally, the F˚ temp + % RH shouldn't be above 100. Also, seed lose viability very quickly when exposed to temps above 80˚ F.

Just make sure the seeds are completely dry, then store them in a cold, dark place in a sealed container and you should be set!

Hope this helps,
Winston

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here