Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
threw away good seeds!!!

Posted by onthebeach42 z6 nj (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 8:13

I am very new to gardening. Started w/perennials last year and had some really beautiful blooms-hardy hibs,trop.hibs,canna,rhodo,susies,rose of sharon,roses. saved all the seeds and marked the containers. I just threw them away last week because i thought i didn't store them right over the winter and others were telling me that you need the bulbs for perennials to grow them-you can't grow from seed. The problem is that i don't know anything about this, but can get a beautiful garden started from containers.When is the proper time to pick the seeds-i got mine when they dropped to the ground.I found this web site after I threw the seeds away or I would be trading!@!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: threw away good seeds!!!

That's a shame! You can grow just about everything from seed, although sometimes you have to do your research well or be very, very, very patient (trilliums and astrantias have been giving me lots of headaches). I'm trying to grow some daffies from seed right now. :)

The proper time to collect seeds is generally when the pods (if any) are starting to split, or the seed heads are starting to dry out (usually the part of the stem right under it has started to shrivel up), but there are some exceptions. Violas are rather tricky, since they expel their seeds once they are ready (if you're watchful, you can catch them as the pods open up, before they start expelling the seeds). Hellebores don't look like they're ready when they are. You should try to collect them before they hit the ground if you can, as ground moisture may initiate the germination sequence, and drying it for collecting can kill the seeds (but don't let this stop you, as most seeds would be fine).

Researching characteristics of when the seeds are ready is useful. For example, daisy-relatives seeds generally stay on the head when ready. Mint-relatives (mints, salvias, lavender, etc.) have four seeds at the bottom of the calyx (I believe it is called) after the flower falls off, and are ready when the seeds look black when you look in, and the calyx is dry. Generally you want to make sure the seeds are no longer green (which means they aren't ready, usually), although a few seem to be still green when ready (some anemones and relatives, etc.). The seeds generally should turn brown (violas, some campanulas, irises, lilies, etc.), black (saxifragas, salvias, some lily relatives, onion family, etc.), or gray (not too many, but I've seen some), when they are ready, sometimes red (stinking iris, magnolia, some campanulas), white (stinking iris with white seeds, parts of some bean seeds, etc.), or other colours (Love-Lies-Bleeding is rather pinkish).

I hope this helps and I haven't talked your ear off. :) Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here