Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigold seed,what happened?

Posted by mollyzone5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 8:49

I collected dried seed pods last year from the double Marigolds,8 inches tall that I had in planters.I dried them well on paper plates before storing in envelopes.Now I potted some up and after a week,nothing came up.I dug out some of the seeds and they still looked the same as they did when I planted them.As I looked at the seed in the envelope I can see that the black part of the seed is very bendable,and not stiff with a pointed sharp end like they should be.I still have some pods on plants that didn't get taken out of the planters last fall,and these look better than what I collected,even after being outside all winter.I have been collecting seed for years and have never seen this before.The seeds I grew these plants from are from collected seed.Any ideas what caused this?I have potted up some of the seed from outside and will know soon whether they germinate or not.Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigold seed,what happened?

Do you mean never seen the bendable seeds? They happen quite frequently, it seems. Composite (to which marigolds belong) flowers are a composite (hence the name) of many tiny florets. I suppose if not all of them got pollinated, then not all of them will form viable seeds. It also seems that the proportion that gets pollinated can vary dramatically from one species to the next. Marigolds tend to produce lots of viable seeds. Stevias produce very few (proportionally), as do celmisias (about 90% of seed packets of this genus I get are completely devoid of viable seeds for some reason, and those that do have viable seeds usually contain only about two or three viable seeds). I guess it also depends on how often the flowers get visited by pollinators. Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

o

Hi,This interests me and I have heard two directions for colecting one states to take plant just when it's faded others say to let the bloom dire compleatly on plant befor colecting.
I also would like to add that I bougth some poor bendable seeds on ebay my own seeds are jet black and sturdy however to my bigg suprise they no name seds germinated just as well as my thomson morgan seeds.Keep in mind soil temp and moisture level I always start indooors so I can controle both of them.

if you collected seeds from a hybrid plant they would not have turned out like the parent plant anyway.

o

I think it's best to let them die completely on the plants before pulling off. My kids though arn't quite that patient and have decent luck planting ones that haven't dried completely. I guess my point is that it may not really matter. I just try not to let thsem freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marigold Seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here