Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pansy Seed Saving

Posted by KATHY2 z6a NY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 8:56

I know it's time to plant seeds, not save them, but my Mom just bought the most beautiful pansies I have ever seen. They seem to be almost twice the size as the norm. Can anyone tell me how to save seeds from pansies? I would need step by step instructions since I don't know where to begin.

THANKS!
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pansy Seed Saving

Here is how I save mine-

When the seed pods decide it's time, the burst open and the seeds scatter. I use a piece of old nylon and cover the seed pod when it has swelled about the size of a really large pea. I use waterproof tape to seal it. Once the pod bursts (you can tell by gently feeling it) I cut off the flower and cut open the nylon. Most of the seeds are loose then. you may have to scrap them out of the pod. Careful! They like to fly off!

o

I don't have a flower in front of me so it's hard to picture, but you are saying the seed pod is below the actual flower and you cover that part with the nylon, leaving the flower uncovered? Like I said, I've never done this before so you will have to bear with the unexperienced me! Thank you!

o

We've all been newbies at some time. :-)

When the flower fades, the pedals drop, and that is where the seed pod forms. There is a picture at this link of a pod before it opens: http://ukgardening.co.uk/photos.asp?PhotoID=252

And this one shows a pod that has burst: http://www.guernsey.net/~cdavid/botany/files/viola kitaibeliana/indexd.html

Last year I took a square of nylon, folded it over and sealed two sides, leaving one open. I slipped it over the seed pod like a sock. Then I sealed the last opening. It worked great!

o

Teresa,

Thanks! The pictures and your further description made it so much clearer. I'm going to give your method a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here