Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to save seed from toothache plant?

Posted by tumblingtomatoes fl (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 10:08

Hi, I have a small toothache plant growing in a pot(spilanthes acmella) & now some of the flowers are fading. How would I save seed from them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to save seed from toothache plant?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 23:44

Hi,
I'm surprised no one has written a response. I've not grown it myself, but I've received seeds a few times. The seeds are small dark flattish chip type seeds. They usually come with lots of chaff so I assume there are lots of seeds nestled at the base of the flowers. I would wait until the flowers have completely faded. Many times you can tell because the stem right under the flower also dies. If you're not sure, you can always test one flower by crumbling it and seeing if the seeds are ripe.
Remy

o

Thanks! Will do! It's a cute little plant & the little flowers are adorable! I want to save seeds to replant enough to make a border around a walkway to the drive way in the front yard & share some with a couple friends. I've got a couple flowers that are fading now, going to go test one! Have a great afternoon! :)

o

I saved some of these seeds last year. It was very easy. All you have to do is wait till the flower is very dry, as Remy said, and has turned a tan color. You can crumble the head and you will see small black seeds in the light colored chaff. They look like a smaller version of Zinnia seeds, almost an arrow shaped seed. You will get tons of seeds from a single plant.

Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here