Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Oops

Posted by herp35 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 10:17

I recently bought about $30 worth of vegetable seeds and I went on vacationfor a week and accidentally left the seeds unplanted in my greenhouse. It got up to about 80 degrees everyday inside of the greenhouse. Do you think my seeds will be okay?
~The Seed Killer~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Oops

They should be ok if they were dry, the only way to know is to sow them!

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 19:54

Hi,
Well, you may have not killed them, but you definitely shortened the life of them. Many veggies seeds stored properly will last a few years if not longer as you may know.
Since it is just veggies seeds which don't require difficult germination techniques, you can do the paper towel germination test if you are worried that they may actually be dead.
Just moisten(damp not soaking wet) a paper towel wrap the seeds in it. Put that in a baggie and place in a warm spot like on top of the fridge. Start checking for life after a couple days. Most veggie seeds will sprout in a few days this way.
Remy

o

I did this with a pack of dwarf white MG,I accidentally left it inside my lighting unit! :O....so,I planted them all in a panic...lol...guess who will have lots of those this year!...lol..

o

I agree with Remy. The prolonged exposure to heat would shorten the storage life significantly. If that was combined with high humidity (were there growing plants in the greenhouse?) & the seeds were in paper envelopes, some seed death is entirely possible.

As Remy pointed out, germination testing of veggies is not difficult... and if the seeds were damaged, it could save you from disappointment, by giving you time to procure fresh seed. Even if the seeds pass germination testing, I would not recommend saving them beyond this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here