Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting Bergenia Seeds

Posted by jdbheartease 7-NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 10:19

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also collecting seeds. I've alway had a very tidy garden. Deadheading as soon as the flowers fade. This year was the first year that I wintersowed seeds and grew plants. What a great experience! Most of my seeds came from the Seed Exchange Forum. I would like to share back in the future with other gardeners.

Right now, I have a bergenia in bloom and would like to collect seeds from it, whenever they form, but I have no idea what the steps are. I know I'm not going to deadhead, so where do I go from there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting Bergenia Seeds

How do I word this.....The "deadhead" will eventually turn to seed. Usually the best way to tell if the seed is viable is underneath where the bloom was will start to turn brown.

o
RE: Collecting Bergenia Seeds

Thanks. I'm keeping my eye out for the seeds on this plant. My blood root recently went to seed. Really neat. Blood root forms pods. So it was easy to find the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here