Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabehart_gw

Datura seed pods

gabehart
19 years ago

Hello all

I saved Datura pods form last season in the garage. Now the little spike balls are moldy. Will the seeds still be viable. I cracked open one pod and some seeds looked normal and others blackened. What did I do wrong?

Thanks mucho

Abby

Comments (10)

• webkat5
    19 years ago

The pod itself contains quite a bit of moisture (it is the fruit)...probably shouldn't try to save them while they are in their pods....were the pods dried when you picked them? Had they already cracked open naturally?
    You will want to wait until the pod cracks open to collect the seeds...Then store them in paper envelopes for a while or....you can tie some panty hose around the pod when it has reached full size and then just wait until the pod cracks, then untie the pantyhose.

• SunshineAnnieDeb
    19 years ago

The pods are quite meaty. I just wait until they pop open and then peel it away from the seeds. It looks like a brain or something! And don't they smell like stinky feet! Just planted some more today. None have sprouted yet tho....hoping.

• Stellinate
    19 years ago

What do you have to lose by trying? I had the same thing happen in my zone 5b Ohio garage before. Many of the seeds sprouted anyway that year. I'd say your 'normal' looking seeds may have made it. I guess that's why each plant gives you what seems like billions of seeds.

• greenpassion
    13 years ago

This is to webcat5. I have prickly pods on my daturas that have opened up and spilled the seeds onto the soil of the pots they're in. I had no idea they were ready. I had been told to wait until the pods were brown and dried, like castor bean pods. These never browned. I noticed the little orangeish seeds this morning when watering. Should I collect the other pods which haven't yet opened up and get the seeds out myself-or wait and just collect the spilled seeds from the soil surface and the gravel? (The planters are on a wide gravel border surrounding the wooden deck it's self, for plants to set.) I have also discovered that cutting root really well in just plain water. So well that the cuttings with blossoms on them actually bloomed. Still, I want to start some from seed...

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Greenpassion,
    I'm answering because this post is from 2005 and WebKat doesn't come around anymore. Don't collect the unopened seed pods. You want them to be completely ripe or the seed won't be as viable. WebKat did say an easy way to collect seed because when the pods are ready, the seed will often fall out onto the soil which you have found out - "you can tie some pantyhose around the pod when it has reached full size and then just wait until the pod cracks, then untie the pantyhose." Organza gift bags also work well. If there's no chance of rain in the near future, a bowl under the pods also works well.
    Hope that helps,
    Remy

• nopets
    11 years ago

A neighbor gave me these and I was wondering if I could keep them in the bag or should I spread them out on a newspaper on the counter, we have no children and no pets.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

A neighbor gave me these and I was wondering if I could keep them in the bag or should I spread them out on a newspaper on the counter, we have no children and no pets.
    Those seed pods should not have been harvested while they were green. Most likely the seeds in them are immature and/or will not be viable when planted.

If possible I would suggest you telling the neighbor that they should be dried and starting to crack open before the seed pods are picked off. There are numerous seeds in each pod, so it they are just for yourself, chances are that one pod would have more seeds than what you would ever need to plant in one season.

Please read the posts above, particularly the one by Remy.

• TangoMio
    11 years ago

I a full plant of dature pods....and 3 different angel trumpets that have some pods on them......So I'm new at this gardening stuff and the whole trumpet business as well.....so I am wondering......
    a)when do I pick the pods off the plants
    b)is there a way I can save them for spring to start growing? That would be best right?
    The Datura pods seem like the coloring is a lot different than the angels.....What am I looking for when I am going to pluck it? Sorry I am such a newbie!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I pull my pods off when they are green and I put them into a brown grocery bag to ripen. Put them in a grocery or lunch bag.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

If you want to be sure of a good harvest of seeds you could make make-shift bags from nylon mesh and wait until they start to open before you harvest them.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions