Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigold Seed

Posted by becky619 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 10:48

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a question. I planted marigold plants and when I pull off the spent blooms there are lots of seeds. What should I do with them? Can I plant them somewhere now or do I have to save them for awhile? If I have to save them, what do I save them in?
Thank you
Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigold Seed

Marigolds are very easy to start from seed. You can start them right now inside, or outside if you have passed your last frost date (which you can check online for your region). Just barely cover them, moisten the surface of the soil or starter mix, cover the container (plastic wrap should suffice if the container doesn't have its own cover), and they should sprout in a few days to a week. When that happens, remove the cover, and put the container somewhere where it gets sun (South-facing window sill should do). Once you get a couple of pairs of real leaves (in addition to the first pair that sprouts), you can transplant them (carefully) to individual containers. They don't need too much space yet, but they shouldn't be too crowded. When it's time to do some gardening, just transplant them outside, and enjoy!

As to what do you save them in, put them in a paper envelope or a paper envelope that you fold yourself. You need the porous nature of the envelope to keep the seeds from getting too much moisture and rotting. Some seeds don't last long, but marigolds do last for a few years, so if you don't use them all, you can store them for next year.

o
saving nasturtium seeds

is it possible to save nasturtium seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here