Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pericallis X hybrida, Florist's Cineraria?

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 11:27

I have Cinerarias, and I have never collected seeds from a flower before!

I'm 'guessing' that the yellow tops are the seeds and the white tops are the seeds that aren't ripe yet?

Or maybe the seeds are in the pouch looking thing underneath the flower?

How do I know when I can collect the seeds? When will I know when they are ripe enough to gather?

Should I use a paper bag or something? So clueless!

Here is a photo of what they look like:
IMG_3671
IMG_3670

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pericallis X hybrida, Florist's Cineraria?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 8:17

Hi Red,
I had hoped someone would post to this because I have received cineraria seeds in trades in the past. I've not actually saved seed from them myself. Anyway, I'll help you best I can : )
There are no seeds in your pictures. The yellow parts are flower parts that are ready to reproduce. The plant is attracting insects. The very middle either is not ready yet, or won't ever be. Some plants have a ring of fertile parts around sterile parts.
When the flowers get old and die, if they have been fertilized, seeds will develop in the base of where the flowers used to be. That will become dry over time. How long depends on the plant. Usually where the base attaches to the stem dies when the seeds are ready in this type of seed production, but not always so I can't say for sure. Keep checking and if you think they are ready pick one and see. There's a pic on the link. The seeds are tiny little stick type seeds.
Hope that helps,
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cineraria Seeds Ready to pick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here