Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennurse_2010

Do earwigs eat seeds?

gardennurse_2010
13 years ago

Hi~

Just noticed a bunch of earwigs in my garden shed in the seed stash box--an old seed box. Seem harmless enough, although they seem to really like the box. Not sure if it is because the of the darkness or because its a food supply or both!

Wondering...do earwigs eat seeds? And if so, how can I store seeds and prevent an earwig invasion?

Thanks!

Darlene

Comments (2)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Darlene,
    I've no clue about earwigs eating seeds, but them wanting to be in there is not a good sign. I do know storing seeds in a shed is not the best place for them. Seeds need cool, dark, and dry(not humid.) The shed covers the dark, but at certain times of the year, it would be neither cool or dry. A closet of a room that stays cool like on the north side of your home in new earwig free box would be best. : )
    Remy

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

I would say move the seeds too... earwigs like dark, damp places. I googled "earwig food" and copied this for you.

The common earwig is one of the few insects that actively hunt for food and are omnivorous, eating arthropods, plants, and ripe fruit. To a large extent, this species is also a scavenger, feeding on decaying plant and animal matter if given the chance.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions