Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsaforo

Herloom Seed Catalogs

fsaforo
17 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a good reliable catalog for these type of seeds.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks

Flo

Comments (5)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Try Seed Savers' Exchange, Select Seeds, Seeds of Change. There are three, all with websites. I like all of them.

Lisa

• jenjenoh
    17 years ago

I like Bakers Creek seeds. Just ordered from them the first time last month and was pleased with their service.

• jayirwin4545
    17 years ago

I can't recommend Bakers Creek. They ship their seeds with not one scrap of planting or harvesting information. I had to guess as to when and how deep to plant some of the more "exotic" varieties. Next year I'll try one of the other heirloom seed catalogues.

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Try Sandhill Preservation Center. Below is a link to their site. They are a family run 'hobby business.' But they have an outstanding selection.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I will add a few...
    Johnny's Selected Seeds & Territorial Seeds, while they also sell hybrids, carry quite a few heirlooms, and both also have their own excellent open-pollinated varieties from their in-house breeding programs.

Bountiful Gardens has a good selection, generous seed portions, and very informative info for each variety. Also a very good selection of OG publications.

For peppers, try Redwood City Seed Co.

Since you are in zone 7, I have to respectfully disagree with the above, and highly recommend Baker Creek (sorry Jay). While it is true that little info comes with the seed pack, they have a detailed planting guide on their website, plus their own forums. They also simply have the _best_ selection of cowpeas, melons, squash, eggplant, and many Asian heirlooms, all acclimated to Southern climate.

For more varieties acclimated to the South, try Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They also have many seed saving supplies, should you find yourself headed in that direction.

All of the above have websites, and all except Southern Exposure have free catalogs (last I checked). Southern Exposure will download a .pdf version of their catalog for free.

If you can't find something anywhere else, I would be remiss if I did not mention contacting a Seed Savers Exchange _member_, who has access to many varieties not listed in SSE's catalog. I am one of them. (shameless self promotion) ;-)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor
More Discussions