Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sparky Marigold

Posted by christaf1968 zone6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 20:44

Hi all, I harvested tons of seeds from my Marigolds last fall. Sparky Variety, and am wondering if they will reseed true to the sparky or if I should be worried about getting something else.
If I end up with a lot that germinate I plan on selling them with the proceeds going to a friend who has an ill child and needs extra getting back and forth to out of state doctors. I would hate to grow them and end up finding out I have ended up with some kind of Frankenstein flowers, lol. Last year was the first year I have grown this variety so I don't know what to expect. Thanks for any info.

Christa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sparky Marigold

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 13:10

Hi Christa,
Sorry I haven't been around the forum in awhile, and no one else knew the answer. I did some checking and it seems to be an OP (Open Pollinated) cultivar. This would mean that you can use saved seed. There may be slight variations, but all in all you would be ok, and no Frankenstein flowers, lol. One exception to that would be if you had other marigolds growing nearby, because then the insects would cross pollinate them.
Remy

o

Thank you Remy. I appreciate the reply. Thankful they should be normal or kind of normal. I have a bunch started for my friend and they are growing well already.

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 7:41

Years ago I grew Sparky marigolds and they were so pretty and so easy to grow. I see that have come back..Yeh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here