Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I collected my first seeds tonight!

Posted by lat4005 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 22:36

I am so excited! I just collected my first seeds tonight!!! I think I now have a better understanding of what to look for so I am going to be on a seed hunting mission this spring/summer. This is fun and kind of addicting! I can't even remember the name of the plant but I got 2 of them at the beginning of March. It reminds me of a daisy but it is white with a purple center. Going to hunt for the tag tonmorrow when I have some daylight.

Now, if I were to plant these seeds now (just to see if I did this right) would they actually grow or do I have to wait until next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I collected my first seeds tonight!

Hmmm, not sure about that. Maybe it depends on the plant. Some seeds require special treatment before they will germinate (drying out, chilling, etc). But, maybe as an experiment you could try both planting a few seeds right away and drying/preserving the rest for later? I don't think you'd need to wait until next year.

I feel your excitement about collecting your first seeds! It's very addictive, you have been warned!

o
RE: I collected my first seeds tonight!

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 22:38

I figured out how to collect the seeds from my Rose Campion plant tonight. I've been reading all about looking for self sowers and haven't found any. Today I was getting ready to deadhead and I noticed that some of the seed pods looked a different color and were dried up and there looked like a seed in top of pod, so I got myself a paper bowl out of the garage cabinet, and turned that dried pod upside down and shook it a bit and all these little seeds come falling out. Yippee! I looked for more and then it started to sprinkle and thunder and lightning so I will check again tomorrow. I was so excited and I had learned last week how to collect the Sweet William seeds. I've known about how to collect bee balm and marigold seeds for years. Learned about columbine seeds last year or year before that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here