Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand pollinating in book Seed to Seed?

Posted by rosegarden3 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 23:47

I would say I'm an intermediate gardener. I have had a vegetable garden for many years with varying degrees of success. I've learned a lot along the way. This year I would like to start saving my own seeds. As usual when I have a gardening question the first place I turned was to this forum. I have learned so much from here. From my search on here I have found lots of great advice on seed saving, most of all I have found several references to a book called "Seed to Seed". I found it on amazon and it is on its way. However in my search I have also found may references to hand pollination. So my question is, does the book "Seed to Seed" cover hand pollination? or is there another book on that that I should purchase?

Thanks
Rosie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand pollinating in book Seed to Seed?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 20:19

Hi Rosie,
If you have not received it yet, it does discuss how to hand pollinate where necessary like with squash.
Another book to think about especially of you are really interested in all of this is 'Breed Your Own Vegetables Varieties' by Carol Deppe.
Remy

o
RE: Hand pollinating in book Seed to Seed?

I second 'Breed Your Own Vegetables Varieties' by Carol Deppe. I have Seed to Seed and use that for my seed saving needs. She describes how to save corn seed very detailed and I am using that now, which is helpful. But I love Deppe's books because they are so detailed on the why's and how's that even someone who didn't have gardening experience could understand how to hand pollinate. You could find it at your library, but you will probably use her books so much, you will probably want your own copies.

Lindsey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here