Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed saving kit

Posted by dirtdigr 8 (blossomsnblunders@gmail.com) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 1:29

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a homemade kit they've put together. Similar to the ones you can buy. Someone out there must have done this at some point :), I've searched everywhere for a homemade seed saving kit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed saving kit

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, May 16, 09 at 8:33

Hi Dirtdigr,
I figured someone would of posted to you by now. Maybe everyone is like me, and they don't think their method is very pretty or worth talking about.
I have a large plastic bag that hold used bags of all shapes and sizes to go out and collect seeds with, not very attractive at all, lol. I keep small scraps of paper and a couple sharpies to write names of plants on as I put them in a bag.
Once inside, I clean each type of seed and put them into a homemade seed envelope. Size of the envelope of course varies on seed quantity and size.
I have boxes I keep seeds in, not all good looking, though I did get one of those photo boxes at the craft store that looks nicer for seeds seeds I save from my flower garden since I need more room for those. You could use those.
I do have other separate category boxes. I have one each for:
~Tomatoes, I do use small coin envelopes for those since the seed is small, and I have too many to to use homemade packets for.
~Beans and peas, they take up a lot of room.
~Other Vegetables
~Flowers received in trade
~Flowers purchased

So to me those commercial seed saving kits are not any good since they only are good for a few varieties of seeds, but they do look pretty.
Remy

o

Thanks Remy! I think I've put something together to keep it all neat and organized. I appreciate you responding- happy gardening!

o

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is a link that someone posted earlier that I thought was interesting.

Good gardening, Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: watch makers case

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here