Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory will NOT make seeds

Posted by xenofenix La (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 11:18

Everyone says how they are "profilic reseeders" and how they just make too darn many. Well, I have had mine for a month or two now, and finally they are starting to bloom here and there. But, after the flowers wither, all I am left with is a dead flower, no seed or anything. Unlike my marigold which made a dozen seeds on one flower, these morning glories have indeed saddened me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory will NOT make seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 08 at 18:50

Hi,
Sometimes first blooms on plants don't seem to develop seeds. I'm not sure why. If you keep seeing that no seedpods are forming, go out with a little paint brush in the morning and pollinate the flowers yourself. It may seem silly, but it works : )
Remy

o

Erm, is there a guide to this? I know how plants get pollinated, but I don't know the details. What do I have to do?

o

Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 9:22

Hi again,
It is easy : ) With a small brush, just dab the pollen from flower to flower. Enough pollen will stick to the brush so as you move from flower to flower, you will get pollination. If you don't have a tiny brush, I bet a q-tip would work too.
Remy

o

Thank you! I used this technique with my Marigold. It soon started to shrivel up and I must admit, I was worried. Then it started to dry up and cover the flower. But how do I know when it is ready to come off now?

o

Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 22:08

Hi again,
Wait until the pod dries up. This may take awhile. It will loose its color and become papery. Don't worry about the seeds coming out. It is the type of plant that holds onto them for some time.
The morning glory pods are the same way.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here