Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow peas-how to save seeds

Posted by thundercat zn5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 14:34

is it like when you save lima beans you just let them sit in the pod till it rattles or is there a different process to saving snow peas???
thanks,
Jammie and Gizmo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow peas-how to save seeds

If I leave my snow peas too long before harvesting, they eventually get fat and tough like other peas so I would assume the process is exactly the same.

Kristin

o

It's pretty much the same. Just keep an eye on them as they dry down. I lost my seed one year because chipmonks discovered them! If the whole plant is drying down at the same time I prefer to pull it and bring it indoors somewhere, to finish and to be protected from rodents.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Dittos on the chipmonk advice... once they find the dry peas, they will harvest them down to the last pod. I had to put out traps one year to save my crop (lethal ones, I'm afraid; they were too clever for live traps).

The dry seed of most snow peas make excellent soup peas, and are more prolific than some of the varieties bred for that purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here