Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you save Hyacinth seeds?

Posted by shelia--greenthumb 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 15:24

Hi,
My hyacinths have several seed pods. Do I
wait until they turn brown until I collect the
seeds? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Shelia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you save Hyacinth seeds?

(hyacinths, wild and "fancy," reproduce vigorously by forming bulblets at the base of the central bulb; these will come into flower sooner than seeds will. Soonest for seeds is 2nd year after planting the seed.)

My experience is primarily with wild California hyacinths. Don't pick the seed heads when they are green. Wait til they get "papery" dry and somewhat gray or colorless. Then cut off the seed heads (unless you want the hyacinths to drop their seed "in place." Avoid waiting TOO long to remove the seed heads, because each tripartite seed chamber spontaneously opens when it is ready and drops its seeds, usually 3 per seed chamber, out.)

This next instruction is important: The seed heads must dry further, and be protected against moisture, which can encourage fungi, anaerobic bacteria, and spoiling. Best is to dry the seed heads in a paper bag in good ventilation, or spread out in a thin layer on a paper towel or plate on a sunny windowsill.

When Thoroughly dry, place the dry seed stems in a bag and shake the dookie out of them. Many seeds will come free of the stems and be easy to separate. You can pick out the remaining seeds if you wish, or simply toss the stems (with their remaining seeds) on the ground where you wouldn't mind having more hyacinths.

Allow the seeds to dry further before saving them however you usually do, ideally with a dessicant.

Even better, though, is to plant the seeds right away. They will sit tight in the soil (unless it is over-watered)til fall when slim green onion-like sprouts come up. My own summers are dry.

If they get water at the wrong time of year, they will sprout prematurely, but they tolerate that, they just don't bloom then. My sense is that they are only somewhat less "forgiving" than, hmmm, genus name escapes me, species=muscarini, "grape hyacinths."

o
RE: How do you save Hyacinth seeds?

This post has been really helpful! I am going to attempt to save some of my Hyacinth seeds really soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here