Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
collecting impatien seeds

Posted by Hollywog z6soIL (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 18:10

Hi all! this is my first year collecting and saving seeds, so you will probably be hearing from me alot as my plants begin to flower. Right now, however, I have a beautiful basket of impatiens that I purchased hanging on a crook in one of my shade gardens. they are an shade of orangish pink that I have never seen before and as there are no other impatiens for them to cross pollinate with, I am hoping they will come true from their seed. Some of the flowers are now dying off, and I would love to save from of the seeds for next year, as the color really brightens up that particular spot of the yard. Could someone tell me how to save the seeds? When and where will they form? Will the seeds not come until the end of the blooming season, or will they just form all season long? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: collecting impatien seeds

If you look at the back of an individual flower, you will notice a tiny green swelling. If pollination occurs, the flower falls off and this green bit will grow considerably into a seed pod. Seed release can happen at any time, often when the pod is still green. Mature seed is brownish. You can pin a little bit of panty-hose round a swelling pod to catch the seed before it flies off in all directions. Seed will not reliably come true, the only way to ensure a duplicate plant is to take cuttings.

o

"Seed release can happen at any time, often when the pod is still green."
Thanks you Alison!
I've grown Impatiens for years, I've read instructions for saving seeds yet have never been able to find the seeds - they never seem to turn brown, now I'll check them out for seeds when the pod is still green.
I've started new ones from cuttings many times but would like to try using the seeds too.

o

I have been looking and looking for seed pods to form on my impatiens. This is the first year growing them. I just went out front to look for the green seed pod. I believe I have a few little green pods forming on what was a stem of a flower. Any idea on how long it takes for the pod to get close to releasing the seed? With the success I had growing them this year, I sure hope to be able to try them this winter with my own seed.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here