Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lodigardner

storing seeds, will they be viable???

lodigardner
14 years ago

Hi everyone, i have a question about seed storage. Now, this is my first year starting from seed, and i have a lot of leftover seeds from my packets. (Burpee,Seeds of Change,and Botanical interests. Im on sort of on a tight budget so i want to save leftovers for next year. My question: can i store them in the freezer, or is there a better way?

List of leftover seeds--

Eggplant Rosa Bianca BURPEE

Sage, Common BURPEE

Basil, Lemon BURPEE

Tomato Brandywine BURPEE (unopened)

Coriander (Cilantro)BURPEE

Parsley BOTANICAL INTERESTS

Sweet Bell Pepper BOTANICAL INTERESTS (unopened)

German Chamomile (unopened)

Holy Basil (seeds of change)

green and red velvet okra (seeds of change)

Thank you everyone!! :D

Comments (9)

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi,
    You can store them in a freezer in an air tight container and most will last a long time. But you must let the container come to room temp before opening or you will kill your seeds. They will store fine in a room temp cool dark place though. The years are for storage in a cool dark dry place where germination will be about the same as this year.

Eggplant - 5+
    Sage - not sure, but other salvia members I have grown last a few years quite well
    Basil - many years
    Tomato - 5+
    Coriander (Cilantro) - ?
    Parsley - 2 years
    Sweet Bell Pepper - 3 years
    German Chamomile - ?
    Holy Basil - ?, it is still a type of basil, so I assume a long time also
    okra - 5 years

Hope this helps : )
    Remy

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

I store my seeds in a container in the refrigerator, they seem to hold up very well.

Good gardening, Mary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    6 years ago

I realize this is an old thread.

I bought too many parsley seeds for 2017. I would like to plant the remainder in the fall.

- Better to store in the refrigerator, or the freezer?

- Are ziplock sandwich bags ok for storage?

- Should I put the entire unopened seed packet/envelope in the sandwich bag? Or take the seeds out of their envelope and put them in the ziplock bag (or other container)?

- All air squeezed out, or leave some air in the bag?

Thanks very much!

Carol in Jacksonville, Florida

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Carol- Just keep the seeds in their original packet in a cool, dark, dry place. Putting them in the fridge or freezer is for long term storage (many years). If you are going to use them in just a few months there is no point.

Rodney

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    6 years ago

Hi everyone!

Rodney, thanks so much for your reply and the info. I actually have two packets - could I save some for 2018 or 2019? I would really like to know the answers to these questions. Anyone?:

1 - Which is better for storage: refrigerator or freezer?

2 - I read that seeds should be stored in an air-tight container. Are ziplock sandwich bags ok?

3 - Should I put the entire, unopened seed packet/envelope in the
    sandwich bag? Or take the seeds out of their envelope and put them in
    the ziplock bag (or other container)?

4 - Should all of the air be squeezed out, or leave some air in the bag?

Thanks very much!

Carol in Jacksonville

• dirt_tracker Alabama Zone 8A
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm reading that parsley seed stores "up to 3 years". I believe this can be extended by storing them in a freezer or refrigerator. I would use something like a canning jar or some other re-purposed jar with a good seal. Wide-mouthed jars work best. These will work much better than ziplock bags. If the seeds were dried properly (being commercially prepared I would hope they are) I believe they will store longer in either the freezer or refrigerator.

But, they may surprise you how long they last if simply stored in a sealed container at room temperatures. If you do freeze or refrigerate them be SURE that you let the container come completely to room temperature before opening it or you may risk killing all of your seed. Take them out of the freezer and let them warm for a day before opening.

Oh, and squeezing as much air out ask you can will be good...there will still be plenty of oxygen for the living seeds.

Best wishes,

Ed

• jlhart76
    6 years ago

I keep mine in a shoebox in the closet and they seem fine. I always have more sprout than I can plant, but I tend to overplant anyway.

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    6 years ago

Does the same go for all seeds? I purchased some geranium seeds from a seller in China via Amazon and I put them in a dry dark place. Is that ok? I want to try to grow them next winter/spring for my hanging baskets for the summer and was very excited to see that I could get the seeds because the flowers are beautiful.

• shp123
    6 years ago

I suggest that you try starting a few seeds this year. The seed sellers from china do not have a good reputation regarding quality of their seeds.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions