Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing seeds, will they be viable???

Posted by lodigardner 9 San Joaquin lodi (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 18:13

Hi everyone, i have a question about seed storage. Now, this is my first year starting from seed, and i have a lot of leftover seeds from my packets. (Burpee,Seeds of Change,and Botanical interests. Im on sort of on a tight budget so i want to save leftovers for next year. My question: can i store them in the freezer, or is there a better way?

List of leftover seeds--
Eggplant Rosa Bianca BURPEE
Sage, Common BURPEE
Basil, Lemon BURPEE
Tomato Brandywine BURPEE (unopened)
Coriander (Cilantro)BURPEE
Parsley BOTANICAL INTERESTS
Sweet Bell Pepper BOTANICAL INTERESTS (unopened)
German Chamomile (unopened)
Holy Basil (seeds of change)
green and red velvet okra (seeds of change)

Thank you everyone!! :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing seeds, will they be viable???

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 6, 09 at 9:52

Hi,
You can store them in a freezer in an air tight container and most will last a long time. But you must let the container come to room temp before opening or you will kill your seeds. They will store fine in a room temp cool dark place though. The years are for storage in a cool dark dry place where germination will be about the same as this year.

Eggplant - 5+
Sage - not sure, but other salvia members I have grown last a few years quite well
Basil - many years
Tomato - 5+
Coriander (Cilantro) - ?
Parsley - 2 years
Sweet Bell Pepper - 3 years
German Chamomile - ?
Holy Basil - ?, it is still a type of basil, so I assume a long time also
okra - 5 years

Hope this helps : )
Remy

o
RE: storing seeds, will they be viable???

I store my seeds in a container in the refrigerator, they seem to hold up very well.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here