Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

How to tell when decorative 'Patty Pan' type squash is mature

julia42
11 years ago

I'm trying to save seeds from a squash plant which I grew from the "Patisson Strie Melange" seed mixture sold by Baker Creek Seeds. I Don't know the names of any of the squash in the mixture, so I'm having trouble figuring out how long I should wait for the squash to mature on the vine, so I was hoping for some advice. It's a large warty, decorative scallop squash. It's been full size for a while now (at least 2 weeks) and the skin has become fairly hard. If I push my fingernail into it, it makes a marks but doesn't really leave much of an indention. If I tried *really* hard, I could probably puncture it. Also, I'm noticing that the edge of the tendril connecting it to the vine is starting to turn yellow.

However, the colors are nothing like what the squashes in the Bakers Creek catalogue looks like. Mostly it's just creamy whitish with very pale yellow stripes. Does anyone know if I should be waiting for deeper coloration to indicate maturity? In the reviews a lot of people said their squashes never got bold stripes. I'm just trying to figure out if it's done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patisson Strie Melange

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions