Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell when decorative 'Patty Pan' type squash is mature

Posted by julia42 9a (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 18:43

I'm trying to save seeds from a squash plant which I grew from the "Patisson Strie Melange" seed mixture sold by Baker Creek Seeds. I Don't know the names of any of the squash in the mixture, so I'm having trouble figuring out how long I should wait for the squash to mature on the vine, so I was hoping for some advice. It's a large warty, decorative scallop squash. It's been full size for a while now (at least 2 weeks) and the skin has become fairly hard. If I push my fingernail into it, it makes a marks but doesn't really leave much of an indention. If I tried *really* hard, I could probably puncture it. Also, I'm noticing that the edge of the tendril connecting it to the vine is starting to turn yellow.

However, the colors are nothing like what the squashes in the Bakers Creek catalogue looks like. Mostly it's just creamy whitish with very pale yellow stripes. Does anyone know if I should be waiting for deeper coloration to indicate maturity? In the reviews a lot of people said their squashes never got bold stripes. I'm just trying to figure out if it's done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patisson Strie Melange

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell when decorative 'Patty Pan' type squash is mature

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, May 27, 12 at 22:36

Hi,
It sounds as if it is almost ripe enough. The skin should get very hard and not be able to get dented. The stem changing does indicate that it is almost ripe.
Once it is ripe, cut it from the plant and then let is sit inside for about a month. This will help the seeds have a better germination rate.
Just an FYI for anyone reading this, those squash are Cucurbita pepo variety. They will readily cross with any other C. pepo variety grown close by which will result in off fruit from saved seed. Other C. pepo varieties include zucchini, yellow summer squash, spaghetti, some pumpkins, and little ornamental gourds.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here