Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kale greens seed

Posted by diane333TN z7 TN (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 19:35

I have a patch of a wonderful smooth leaved kale that had formed seed pods and is nearly through the flowering process. Could some knowledgeable person give me some advice on when I need to collect the seed from the pods? This variety is very hard to find...it's one of those "pass along" types. The gentleman who gave me my seeds called the kale "German greens", but it is definitely kale. The pods at this point are still green and the seeds are white. I know they need to become black, but have no idea at what point to collect them. Do they automatically burst open or do they get brown and dry, allowing me to harvest the pods and shell out the seeds? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Diane :-)
Tennessee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kale greens seed

Hi,

I had curly kale that wintered over from last year under a thick mulch. It grew again this year and produced seed that did eventually pop open all over the bed they were growing in, and I let them thinking I wouldn't mind if they reseed all over the bed.

I was going to pull the plant, but surprisingly, after the seeds dispersed, the plant started growing again and it is FULL of gorgeous new leaves. I didn't know this kale plant would just keep going like this. It is like the energizer bunny. :-)

Adam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here