Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gerbera seeds from the garden

Posted by mgpaquin Savannah, GA (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 20:30

I'm growing gerberas in a raised bed in my garden (one of them actually overwintered for me last year!). Can I harvest seeds from the spent flower heads? (I assume I'd have to let the flower heads completely dry out until they look almost like dandelions, right?) I love the plants and would love to experiment with saving the seeds from year to year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gerbera seeds from the garden

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 23:12

Gerbera seed are not the best to try and save seeds from. They often are not viable. They will be thin and bendy.
When they are good, they are not viable for very long, only a few months.
They are also difficult to germinate and grow to a seedling stage. The link below has info in the seed propagation section.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Gerbera Daisy Fact Sheet

o
RE: Gerbera seeds from the garden

Thanks, remy, for your information and the link. I'm thinking I may do better by trying to encourage more of them to overwinter for me, by mulching and hoping! The one that overwintered is enormous compared to the "newbies." My next experiment is to see what colors do best in my beds. The one that overwintered was bright red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here