Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is a seed to old to even try?

Posted by otrasca 9-10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:36

I realize this is vague and perhaps theres no telling because if I soak and pamper perhaps they'll grow anyhow...
I have everything from veggies to flowers, fruits and trees. I would love to try them all but do not want to waste my time if its to late. To my knowledge Maple type seeds die after the first six month dry. But what about a sweet pea or canna type seed?
Is there a good reference site for seeds that must be started while still fresh like most fruits?...
Would just like some of you to fill me with knowledge!
Thanks!
Tam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is a seed to old to even try?

I'd go ahead and try 'em. Sometimes they'll surprise you. If space is an issue, do a germination test. Looks like the record is thousands of years.

Also, here's one example of the reference you were looking for.

o

I found an old dill packet from 1990 and planted them this season, and they are growing like crazy! Always worth a try.

o

I too have had very old seed packets that I have forgotten about & they were 10 years old & they grew. who would have known? I say give them a go - you may have to baby them to get them started but sometimes it is worth it.

o

I have a patio full of seedlings , some from 2001 and older.
I sowed lots of them thinking only a few would germinate...NOT! I also have many that I germinated in zip lock baggies tucked inside a moistened coffee filter. Just plant them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here