Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Seeds and Crepe Myrtle Seeds

Posted by JanetGranny z7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 05 at 21:05

Where do I find these seeds on the bushes? Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
JanetGranny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Seeds and Crepe Myrtle Seeds

I'm not sure about lilac, but on crepe myrtle, after the flowers are gone there'll be these pea sized brown berry/balls. They'll break open into segment shaped seeds. PS thanks again for your seeds!

o

Crape Myrtle seeds are fairly easy to collect. Once the seed pods dry out on the tree, you can collect them and open the pods. Like Romando says, they are pea shaped but in segments that split open fairly easily. The seeds inside have a bit of a wing attached. I've successfully propagated Crape Myrtle from these seeds in Jiffy Peet Pellets. Just sink them in about 1/4 inch into the pellet and keep it moist for a few weeks. About a 1/5 of my seeds were successfull in starting. My Crape Myrtle flowers are purple.

I would assume that if you can't find the seed pods on your Crape Myrtle, then the flowers probably didn't get polinated. My seed pods were pretty obvious. Send me a SASE and I'll mail you some seeds.

Hope this helps.

o

I am looking for some deep purple crape myrtle seeds. I read your post on GardenWeb. Are your crape myrtle a light purple or the deep purple?

Thanks,
Linda in Wilmington, NC

o

The Lilac Seeds are purple and Crepe Myrtle are pink.

o

Lilac seeds make themselves very obvious. They are lumpy things that form where the flower clusters were, way out on the ends of branches, in very visible locations because they bloom most in the exposed sun. If they actually form on your lilacs you will be sure to notice them!?! My lilacs tend to sucker a lot so I never tried to plant them from seed, but I am vaguely thinking about trying it.

Marcia

o

When is the best time to cultivate crepe myrtle seeds? My deceased grandparents had a gorgeous crepe in their yard. But their house was recently bulldozed down to prepare for a new highway. I would truly love to start some trees from the one in their yard before it, too is gone. Please tell me when to get the seed pods.
Schellehawk89

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here