Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On an exchange list, what is one trade?

Posted by wanna_run_faster 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 22:11

Hello all,

Just get into seed collection & exchanges. Could someone please tell me how an exchange usually works? For example I see alot of people asking if the trader will accept a SASE instead since there is no matches on their lists. Is this an acceptable practice or is it considered 'taboo' or 'pushy' in any way? Also, if someone says they have 'one trade' worth, what exactly does that mean? Is there a 'set' number of seeds usually in a trade?

Thanks in advance,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On an exchange list, what is one trade?

Check out the FAQ's on that forum....it will give you all of the answers.
You are not actually supposed to ask for seeds....it is trade only unless the SASE is offered to you. If you want clarification on how many seeds are in each individual trade, ask them and tell them what you are sending. Communication is everything.

o

• Posted by Trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 05 at 15:26

About two dozen is the usual amount for a trade. You can contact a trader through email rather than post a request for a SASE, which is tabu on the exchanges, because it invites too many greedy people. People will post if they have seeds to share, epsecially in Autumn and Winter after everyone has harvested seeds from their gardens. They trade and then SASE away what they don't need.

I made a collection of seed trading FAQs for the Winter Sowing Forum--we have an exchange. I'll paste in the link for you. The FAQs for seed trading are about 2/3s down the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS FAQs--seed trading FAQs are about 2/3s down the list

o

WebKat an Trudi,

Thanks so much for your help. The FAQ's were great and answered all my questions! Don't know why I didn't see the link originally! And Trudi, thanks for all your hard working putting all the information together for folks like me! It's great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here